Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th, Day 3

Holy shit this is harder than I thought...

Within 10 minutes of showing up for work today, I grabbed some left-over birthday cake, without even thinking, and took a bite. Part way through chewing, I realized that there was a fairly good chance (and by that I mean it's pretty much a given) I'd just eaten corn product (likely in the form of either high fructose corn syrup or corn oil).

It's amazing (and pretty alarming) that corn has made its way so far into our collective diets that I can't even eat a piece of iced sponge cake...

Today was probably the worst of the three days. After making staff meal that I thought was corn free, I came to quite the annoying realization that the cooking oil we use is no longer soy-based (which isn't great either, but that's a different story entirely) but possibly corn based. So for the rest of these two weeks, I will not be able to eat any of the food from work.

Tomorrow is my first day off since I started these crazy shenanigans. If I don't drive at all, and I can manage to only eat the food at home, it may be my first 100% corn-free day. My intuition, however, says otherwise, as I've learned in these first three days that cutting corn out of my life is far easier said than done. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Uh oh, no post for the 12th... How did you end up doing? As of 10:30 in the morning you were corn free! (This is Sarah, sister of Emily whom you had breakfast with.) I'm rooting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete