Friday, September 9, 2011

September 9th, Day 1

Definitely the hardest day so far...

My restaurant doesn't really have a glut of options...so today I was basically a Vegetarian. All our animal protein (save for the seafood, which is too expensive for us to eat anyway) is grain-fed, as is most of our dairy. So I subsisted off Red Hen sandwiches with tomato and Mozzarella (the Maple Brook Farm mozz comes from pastured cows). I drank my coffee black and abstained from Gatorade for probably the first time in 3 months.

Still, not perfect. Had to drive to and from work (about a gallon of gas, so 1/10 of a gallon of ethanol). Also, I made myself a tub of iced coffee around the start of dinner service and without even thinking, poured in a little milk (Hood, so definitely grain-fed). I'm fine with black when the coffee is hot, but iced, and midday, a little milk is always nice. And to be honest, it only dawned on me after drinking the coffee that there was corn involved.

I'm going to go to the Burlington farmer's market tomorrow and stock up on supplies. Naturally, that's going to mean a lot of vegetables. I'm going to buy some local beef, most likely, but will have to lay off the pork (pretty sure all pigs are fed a diet that consists of corn). My big goal for tomorrow is to be able to find eggs that work. The hardest part about this two weeks will be laying off the eggs (think about your life and the number of eggs you eat, either stand-alone or as an ingredient in something else) so I hope I can find some. No driving unless I have too, either...

No comments:

Post a Comment